Maple Street skate park revamp plans amping up in Manchester
“We will brainstorm about what participants want,” said Jim DeStefano, organizer of XMVSkate.
Current goals include raising about $500,000 to refurbish or rebuild the park.
“We want to build the likability for users so it will become self-policing,” Destefano said.
A fully enclosed facility may be beyond the anticipated budget, but organizers say they lean toward a pole-roof sort of covering that will allow use of the park through much of the year while making sure the activities are in public view.
Destefano suggests replacing or altering the Regis Lemire Community Center, either with a new structure that allows a better view of the skate park, or by removing part of the complex used for storage.
“I’ve brought my kids there a number of times and have never seen problems, I’ve never seen the kids disrespect the park,” he said.
The two firms represented at today’s sessions are experienced with developing, designing and constructing skate parks in cities across the country. Designers will discuss with city engineers whether the existing park can handle an upgrade or whether years of deferred maintenance means the reconstruction needs to be more extensive.
“I think if it was a good skate park, kids would still use it,” Destefano said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry cyclist makes cause a family affair - 0
- Hearing continues on Salem senior living facility - 0
- Pelham family supports Pan-Mass cause - 0
- Local veteran puts on Gala for Warrior Camp - 0
- Senior News: Workshop to focus on 'Telling Your Own Story' - 0
- Jack Savage's Forest Journal: Test inconclusive on anti-deer fly headware - 1
- Just running isn't enough; adventure races add mud and obstacles - 0
- Paquette-Murphy engagement; Sept. wedding planned - 0
- 2 from NH complete Air Force training - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Derry cyclist makes cause a family affair
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Win tickets to see Josh Turner
Local veteran puts on Gala for Warrior Camp
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility