All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston

NEW IPSWICH — A local man was flown with serious burns to a Boston Hospital after his garage caught fire on Monday afternoon.

Shortly before 3 pm on Monday, firefighters were dispatched to a home at 258 Turnpike Road for a reported garage fire, according to Deputy Fire Chief Meredith Lund.

Once on scene, fire fighters discovered that a car was on fire inside the garage and one victim, an unidentified man, was next door at a neighbor’s house, suffering from serious burns to his face, arms and hands.
Lund said it appears that the man was working on the car in the garage when the vapors that had accumulated ignited. The man was able to get out of the garage before the fire spread to the car and the building.
The man, whom Lund would not identify until his family could be reached, was taken by ambulance to a strip mall on Turnpike Road where a MedFlight helicopter was waiting to take him to a Boston hospital for treatment.
“His injuries were more serious than the local hospital could handle so we sent him to Boston,” Lund said.

28th Annual Chocolate Festival 28th Annual Chocolate Festival
Sunday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

FattyFest FattyFest
Saturday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Boogie Wonder Band Boogie Wonder Band
Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

USASA BoarderSkier Cross USASA Boarder/Skier Cross
Saturday, 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle