NEW IPSWICH — A local man was flown with serious burns to a Boston Hospital after his garage caught fire on Monday afternoon.
Shortly before 3 pm on Monday, firefighters were dispatched to a home at 258 Turnpike Road for a reported garage fire, according to Deputy Fire Chief Meredith Lund.
Once on scene, fire fighters discovered that a car was on fire inside the garage and one victim, an unidentified man, was next door at a neighbor’s house, suffering from serious burns to his face, arms and hands.
Lund said it appears that the man was working on the car in the garage when the vapors that had accumulated ignited. The man was able to get out of the garage before the fire spread to the car and the building.
The man, whom Lund would not identify until his family could be reached, was taken by ambulance to a strip mall on Turnpike Road where a MedFlight helicopter was waiting to take him to a Boston hospital for treatment.
“His injuries were more serious than the local hospital could handle so we sent him to Boston,” Lund said.