I'VE SPOKEN often in recent weeks on how this year's Portsmouth High boys' basketball team was good, but not as good as the two prior clubs that posted perfect championship seasons. I'd like to amend...
Older citizens, the disabled and residents of nursing homes or rehabilitation centers are at much greater risk of having their absentee ballots discarded on Election Day, due to the state's signature...
MANCHESTER — An autopsy is expected to be performed this morning on the victim of a deadly shooting on Prospect Street.
"We have promised the victim's family we will not release his name until after the autopsy is performed," Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said. "We hope to have more information regarding the cause of death as well as the victim's identity available later Monday. We continue working closely with the Manchester Police Department on this active shooting investigation."
Strelzin confirmed that as of Sunday night, no arrests had been made in the late Saturday night shooting.
Manchester Police Chief David Mara said all information regarding the identity of the victim would have to come from the Attorney General's Office.
On Sunday afternoon, neighbors along Prospect Street were still in shock over the crime.
"I heard between three and six shots, so we called 911," said William Dreckmann, who lives on nearby Myrtle Street, diagonally across from the shooting. "I heard the shots about 10:40 Saturday night, and when I went outside, there was just a swarm of police cruisers that showed up."
"It was a drive-by shooting; the guy was standing on the corner," said a resident who asked to be identified only as Sue. "There was a dark-colored sedan, sounded like a semi-automatic weapon, about six quick shots and then the car sped off toward Elm Street. I don't want my name out there, 'cause they haven't caught the shooter yet. Every car that slows down going by here today, I get scared."
"It sounded like fireworks, so I went out to see what was going on," said Prospect Street resident Joshua Martineau.
Dreckmann said he heard through radio transmission broadcasts that police were looking for two males in a dark-colored car, believed to have headed toward Elm Street at a high rate of speed.
"The guy, it looked like he was shot right at the corner, then made it down Prospect a bit before he just collapsed in front of 61 Prospect right here," said Dreckmann, pointing to a section of sidewalk. "I didn't know the guy, never seen him around here. I don't think he lived here. He was alive when they left with him. They were doing CPR on him right there on the sidewalk until they took him in the ambulance."
The victim was taken to Elliot Hospital. According to Manchester police, the hospital was put in lockdown mode around 11 p.m. The lockdown was lifted at 1:15 a.m. Sunday, after the victim died.
Police taped off an area around 61 Prospect St., and the road was closed early Sunday morning. It was open to traffic by mid-morning.
Dreckmann said he just doesn't understand what is happening in the city.
"The neighborhood, it's changing — things like this just never happened here," he said. "There were a few arsons near here. A woman shot a gun into the air over there a while back during an argument. I guess you expect stuff to happen in the city, but there just seems to be more of it now."
Police are asking anyone with information to call the Manchester Police Department at 668-8711, or contact the Manchester Crimeline at 624-4040.
Eric Knight, 42, of North Conway appeared in 11th District Court on Friday on charges of felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor domestic violence assault, violating a protection from abuse order,...