Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Hybsch made a lasting impression here
I went to Bill Hybsch's funeral last week. In a 40-year career at this newspaper, Bill met and dealt with a lot of people, although he never had a byline.
Bill had a big family and as I sat and watched his children and grandchildren mourn his passing, it occurred to me that Bill left quite a legacy, each one of his family taking a bit of Bill with them but certainly none of them an exact copy.
"He was a friend to all who knew him. All he needed was his house and woodstove, where he enjoyed life with his two cats Butch and Precious and a 30-pack in the fridge. He was a simple man who enjoyed the simple way of life."
It just seems to me cruel and unusual punishment to expect a fisherman to refrain from a tall tale or two about the one that got away, or even the one that got taken. Anyway, if he or she is any kind of fisherman, no lie detector is going to trap them.
They were nice enough to honor the newspaper with their Singer Family Kids Champion Award. Great event, great turnout. But asking me to show up at the Derryfield Country Club at 7:30 a.m. with no golf involved was pretty painful. But hearing from the kids who benefit from the Army's summer programs made up for it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Lot in a name, so we want to get them right - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Any meaning to groundhog predictions? - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Glad to get emails; well, one of 'em, anyway - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Strange stories? This one takes the cake - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Bank, with our help, putting kids in action - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Despite size, UNH a whirlwind of activity - 2
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Smaug? Desolation? Movie offers plenty of time to think (about something else) - 3
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A momentous year for these newspapers - 4
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Wishing you and yours a merry Christmas - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council