Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Hybsch made a lasting impression here
I went to Bill Hybsch's funeral last week. In a 40-year career at this newspaper, Bill met and dealt with a lot of people, although he never had a byline.
Bill had a big family and as I sat and watched his children and grandchildren mourn his passing, it occurred to me that Bill left quite a legacy, each one of his family taking a bit of Bill with them but certainly none of them an exact copy.
"He was a friend to all who knew him. All he needed was his house and woodstove, where he enjoyed life with his two cats Butch and Precious and a 30-pack in the fridge. He was a simple man who enjoyed the simple way of life."
It just seems to me cruel and unusual punishment to expect a fisherman to refrain from a tall tale or two about the one that got away, or even the one that got taken. Anyway, if he or she is any kind of fisherman, no lie detector is going to trap them.
They were nice enough to honor the newspaper with their Singer Family Kids Champion Award. Great event, great turnout. But asking me to show up at the Derryfield Country Club at 7:30 a.m. with no golf involved was pretty painful. But hearing from the kids who benefit from the Army's summer programs made up for it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax