Home » News » Public Safety
NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police. (Courtesy)
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police.
The Porsche "was going too fast and the driver was unable to control the vehicle," police said. "The vehicle went off the west side of the road, scraping a telephone poll and then hitting a tree head-on."
The driver was wearing a seatbelt, but because of the age of the car it was only a lap belt. Gates received serious head injuries and had to be cut out of the vehicle by Milan EMS and Milan Fire Department. He was taken by Med-Flight to Maine Medical Center where he is in stable condition.
There were no other passengers in the vehicle. Gates was driving with two other vehicles, but they did not witness the accident, police said.
Speed appears to be the only cause of the accident, according to State Police, as the weather was clear and traffic was light.
Route 16 meanders along the pituresque west bank of the Androscoggin River as it flows from Umbagog Lake, through roiling rapids, to the Pontook Reservoir above Milan and Berlin. It's considered one of the state's most scenic byways, attracting thousands of motorists and motorcyclists each year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 12-hour effort needed to get Mass. hiker off Mt. Adams - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge was local woman - 0
- Woman gets speeding ticket, then crashes into guard rail - 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not your standard victory - 0
- Diane Foley is a lady of extraordinary elegance - 0
- Mayor's police contract veto may face override in Nashua - 0
- Havenstein to unveil 'Pledge 2.0' today, saying, 'I won't spend money we don't have' - 1
- Motivation Matters: Hey, boss! How am I doing? - 0
- Big Idea Group a startup breeding ground - 0
- North Country summit to highlight job creation - 0
- Food stamp loophole not a go in NH - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Everett Pollard: Mount Sunapee's master plan will benefit whole region - 0
Food stamp loophole not a go in NH
7 hikers rescued from Pawtuckaway
Foreclosure relief clinic Oct. 1 in Derry
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem