Home » News » Public Safety
NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police. (Courtesy)
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police.
The Porsche "was going too fast and the driver was unable to control the vehicle," police said. "The vehicle went off the west side of the road, scraping a telephone poll and then hitting a tree head-on."
The driver was wearing a seatbelt, but because of the age of the car it was only a lap belt. Gates received serious head injuries and had to be cut out of the vehicle by Milan EMS and Milan Fire Department. He was taken by Med-Flight to Maine Medical Center where he is in stable condition.
There were no other passengers in the vehicle. Gates was driving with two other vehicles, but they did not witness the accident, police said.
Speed appears to be the only cause of the accident, according to State Police, as the weather was clear and traffic was light.
Route 16 meanders along the pituresque west bank of the Androscoggin River as it flows from Umbagog Lake, through roiling rapids, to the Pontook Reservoir above Milan and Berlin. It's considered one of the state's most scenic byways, attracting thousands of motorists and motorcyclists each year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072