Home » News » Public Safety
NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police. (Courtesy)
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police.
The Porsche "was going too fast and the driver was unable to control the vehicle," police said. "The vehicle went off the west side of the road, scraping a telephone poll and then hitting a tree head-on."
The driver was wearing a seatbelt, but because of the age of the car it was only a lap belt. Gates received serious head injuries and had to be cut out of the vehicle by Milan EMS and Milan Fire Department. He was taken by Med-Flight to Maine Medical Center where he is in stable condition.
There were no other passengers in the vehicle. Gates was driving with two other vehicles, but they did not witness the accident, police said.
Speed appears to be the only cause of the accident, according to State Police, as the weather was clear and traffic was light.
Route 16 meanders along the pituresque west bank of the Androscoggin River as it flows from Umbagog Lake, through roiling rapids, to the Pontook Reservoir above Milan and Berlin. It's considered one of the state's most scenic byways, attracting thousands of motorists and motorcyclists each year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'