Home » News » Public Safety
NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police. (Courtesy)
George Gates, 60, of Lloyd Harbor, N.Y., was headed south from Errol about 2:30 p.m. and was traveling too fast when he came to a section of "S" curves north of Pontook Dam, according to New Hampshire State Police.
The Porsche "was going too fast and the driver was unable to control the vehicle," police said. "The vehicle went off the west side of the road, scraping a telephone poll and then hitting a tree head-on."
The driver was wearing a seatbelt, but because of the age of the car it was only a lap belt. Gates received serious head injuries and had to be cut out of the vehicle by Milan EMS and Milan Fire Department. He was taken by Med-Flight to Maine Medical Center where he is in stable condition.
There were no other passengers in the vehicle. Gates was driving with two other vehicles, but they did not witness the accident, police said.
Speed appears to be the only cause of the accident, according to State Police, as the weather was clear and traffic was light.
Route 16 meanders along the pituresque west bank of the Androscoggin River as it flows from Umbagog Lake, through roiling rapids, to the Pontook Reservoir above Milan and Berlin. It's considered one of the state's most scenic byways, attracting thousands of motorists and motorcyclists each year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 0
- Derry police recover stolen box for worn flags - 0
- Chief to Chef: Charlestown veteran chief leaving for food venture - 0
- Fire Marshal's Office didn't condemn school's historic stage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Slippery slide makes Monday driving tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072