Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Winni Derby "Victor Apparent" Dakota Wright, at right, stands with Winni Derby chair Diane LaBrie at the derby's award ceremony Sunday. (COURTESY)
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't - 0
- Some mighty tasty burgers at Willy's - 0
- Super Bowl champ makes Manchester appearance - 0
- Police investigating virus that attacked Auburn town, school computers - 0
- Remove Bobhouses from Ice by April 1 - 0
- Hooksett DPW workers say boss is abusive - 0
- Now's the time to assess winter's toll on your yard - 0
- Text of Vote of No Confidence in Public Works Director Leo Lessard - 0
- Questions linger as Auburn selectmen attempt to bring back town administrator - 1
Super Bowl champ makes Manchester appearance
Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't
Guide Lines: Options for open-water fishing
Some mighty tasty burgers at Willy's
Thomas Sowell: Who would trust Iran?
Bedford mom never complained to friend
Taxing tobacco: Hassan's bad proposal