Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Winni Derby "Victor Apparent" Dakota Wright, at right, stands with Winni Derby chair Diane LaBrie at the derby's award ceremony Sunday. (COURTESY)
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tasting Notes wtih Jim Beauregard: Mixing it up in the beer aisle - 0
- Homemade ice cream a delight for kids of any age in any era - 0
- Our Gourmet: Good food, good beer at Elm City - 0
- Isles of Shoals commemorated in weekend ceremony - 0
- Riding the indoor surfing wave - 0
- Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track - 0
- Stork Project labor of love for Hollis woman - 0
- Platinum Selling Rockers TRAPT Set To Release 'The Acoustic Collection' Sept. 23rd - 0
- Eight environments to explore this Fall by foot - 0
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Riding the indoor surfing wave
Rail rehab proposed for 42 miles of track
ISIS beheads NH journalist
Market Basket: On the brink again
Judge slams spice search
NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass.
Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage?