Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings - 0
- Rock My Soul performs - 0
- Revels North in Hanover - 0
- Bluegrass Christmas Concert set for Saturday - 0
- Take a stroll through centuries of Seacoast history this weekend - 0
- G.I. Holiday Jukebox in Manchester - 0
- For Art's Sake fundraiser garners $20,000 for NH organizations, more - 0
- 'Frost Heaves' brings holiday hilarity back to town with illuminating ride through small-town New Hampshire - 0
- Pemigewasset Choral Society plans Gilford, Franklin, Plymouth shows - 0
Big tipper stops for lunch
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Keene to appeal Robin Hood rulings
Peterborough seniors know they have friends
Candia lights up the night
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained