Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Winni Derby "Victor Apparent" Dakota Wright, at right, stands with Winni Derby chair Diane LaBrie at the derby's award ceremony Sunday. (COURTESY)
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former software engineer spices up her life - 0
- A good everyday drinking wine revisited - 0
- Pelham firefighters wearing pink for breast cancer awareness - 0
- Windham eyes development district with a small-town feel - 0
- Engineers win no-bid contract to continue contamination watch in Salem - 0
- Bedford planners give final OK to elderly housing development - 0
- Leading Manchester mental health advocate set to retire - 0
- Artistic life and legacy of Gerry Williams celebrated in Dunbarton - 0
- Smells like Halloween can't be far away - 0
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Enter to win tickets to see Ani DiFranco
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?