Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Winni Derby "Victor Apparent" Dakota Wright, at right, stands with Winni Derby chair Diane LaBrie at the derby's award ceremony Sunday. (COURTESY)
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senior News: 'Medical Care: Keeping It All Straight' focus of workshop - 0
- Manchester celebrates St. Patrick with shamrocks and sunny skies - 0
- Guide Lines: Options for open-water fishing - 0
- Report: NH plant species at risk - 0
- The sweetest of weekends in NH - 0
- He's come a long way from a harsh Georgia upbringing - 0
- Thanks to members' seed money, CSA farms ready for a new season - 0
- Forest Journal: Thinking and waiting for the sap run - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Trees and people share remarkable resemblance - 0
Report: NH plant species at risk
Guide Lines: Options for open-water fishing
The sweetest of weekends in NH
Cruz: I can rally the right
Innovation? Concord isn’t talking about it
USNH funding: Another tuition hike threat
Three people confirmed dead in Bedford
George Will: Remembrances of Clintons past