Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Winni Derby "Victor Apparent" Dakota Wright, at right, stands with Winni Derby chair Diane LaBrie at the derby's award ceremony Sunday. (COURTESY)
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Cranmore to Open a Week Earlier Than Planned: This Weekend - 0
- Cranmore Adds Brew Fest and Warren Miller's "No Turning Back" Film to Annual Homecoming Event - 0
- Nashville Indie Folk-Rock Duo to Perform at the Blue Mermaid Island Grill - 0
- Food drive will benefit Hooksett Food Pantry - 0
- Londonderry High forms team to get help for teens struggling with depression - 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: 'Caliciopsis Canker' affecting NH white pines - 0
- Gift of Lights brings thousands for charities in Loudon - 0
- Public Information Meeting on New Shellfish Area Closures – Dec. 2 - 0
- FEEDNH supports local nonprofits - 0
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Win tickets to see the Amazing Nano Brothers
Food drive will benefit Hooksett Food Pantry
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Plaistow town planner arrested