Home » NewHampshire.com » A&E
Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Winni Derby "Victor Apparent" Dakota Wright, at right, stands with Winni Derby chair Diane LaBrie at the derby's award ceremony Sunday. (COURTESY)
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Champions on Ice’ lacing up in NH - 0
- Nashua's Rivier University hosts 70-year-old NH artist's first showing - 0
- 'Art From the Attic' and 'Transitions' at New Hampshire Art Association - 0
- Acappella ensemble hopes to raise, and help replace, roof - 0
- Jayson Twombly's needlework exhibit in Laconia - 0
- Oil painter James M. O'Brien artist of the month at Exeter Fine Crafts - 0
- Aerosmith 'Let Rock Rule' concert screenings in NH - 0
- Vanessa Trien and her lively band at Redfern Center in Keene - 0
- Stained glass artist Susanna Ries and oil painter John Sweeney present 'Flying Colors' - 0
Harrigan closes up camp
Granite State launches literary hall of fame
Gilford father files civil rights suit against police over arrest at school board meeting