Winni Derby winner says he caught salmon off Welch's Island
Derby officials weren't sure Sunday when they will administer the lie detector test. Wright was given a prize hat and the cash prize voucher, as were the other winners and their prizes.
Derby officials decided to enforce Rule 15 of their bylaws, which requires a polygraph test for the winner "and his or her witness," this year. The rule only applies to the derby's top prize, which goes to the angler who catches the largest salmon from Winnipesaukee during the three-day tournament. The derby also awards smaller prizes for the largest trout caught.
Wright, who said he will use the $12,500 prize money to buy himself a new truck, said he will have no problem taking the test.
Wright's fish was a 22.5-inch, 3.7-pound salmon. Boscawen's Paul Vachon won a cash prize for coming in third in the salmon category.
"This is crazy," he said. "This wasn't even my best derby."
Anglers from Vermont and Maine took four of the first five prizes in the trout category, but Norm Lemire of Jaffrey took fourth place with a 4.88-pound, 25.125-inch trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford homeowners make use of renewable energy - 0
- Festival of Trees lights up Exeter - 0
- Peterborough volunteers to revive Handel's Messiah - 0
- Plymouth readies for holiday fun - 0
- Windham getting in the spirit with tree-lighting festivities - 0
- Slopeside: Simply, unspoiled skiing at Cannon - 0
- 'Big Brother' stars visit NH Toys for Tots fundraisers - 1
- 'Christmas Carol' a rite of passage for community theater world - 0
- Christmas chuckles served up at Queen City campus dining hall - 0
Rex Fowler's Nutopians spotlight tunes by Beatles great John Lennon in Plymouth concert Friday
Parade, Santa heading to city
Festival of Trees lights up Exeter
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
McWages: They're about value
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
Obama talks of remaining agenda
Dingman granted conditional parole