Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2
David Ortiz and Jacoby Ellsbury each added an RBI and Alex Wilson (1-0) picked up his first major-league win in relief of Clay Buchholz, who struck out nine and allowed two runs and four hits in seven innings. Koji Uehara worked a scoreless 10th to earn his first save.
Dustin Pedroia led off the 10th with a single and Josh Roenicke (1-1) walked David Ortiz before Will Middlebrooks laid down his first sacrifice bunt. Minnesota elected to intentionally walk Stephen Drew to face the right-handed Gomes, who lofted a fly to left that rookies Aaron Hicks and Oswaldo Arcia converged on before Hicks made the play and threw late to home as Pedroia came across.
Pedro Florimon provided the runs for the Twins with a two-run homer in the third and Vance Worley allowed an unearned run and six hits in six strong innings.
Florimon's blast to right gave Minnesota a 2-1 lead in the third and the Red Sox evened things up in the seventh. Gomes walked and moved to third on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's double before Ellsbury's single up the middle bounced off two different gloves and found its way into center field.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston RF Shane Victorino (back) got the night off and is day-to-day. ... Ortiz went 3-for-4 for his first multi-hit game since April 30 at Toronto. ... Twins C Joe Mauer (back stiffness) was held out of the lineup and is day-to-day. Ryan Doumit started at catcher.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 0
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Sullinger has figured out NBA schedule maker - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Inspiration personified: Plymouth State's Josh Morgan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
- Derry medical corps to seek grant - 0
- NH reps eyeing budget deal - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false