Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2
David Ortiz and Jacoby Ellsbury each added an RBI and Alex Wilson (1-0) picked up his first major-league win in relief of Clay Buchholz, who struck out nine and allowed two runs and four hits in seven innings. Koji Uehara worked a scoreless 10th to earn his first save.
Dustin Pedroia led off the 10th with a single and Josh Roenicke (1-1) walked David Ortiz before Will Middlebrooks laid down his first sacrifice bunt. Minnesota elected to intentionally walk Stephen Drew to face the right-handed Gomes, who lofted a fly to left that rookies Aaron Hicks and Oswaldo Arcia converged on before Hicks made the play and threw late to home as Pedroia came across.
Pedro Florimon provided the runs for the Twins with a two-run homer in the third and Vance Worley allowed an unearned run and six hits in six strong innings.
Florimon's blast to right gave Minnesota a 2-1 lead in the third and the Red Sox evened things up in the seventh. Gomes walked and moved to third on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's double before Ellsbury's single up the middle bounced off two different gloves and found its way into center field.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston RF Shane Victorino (back) got the night off and is day-to-day. ... Ortiz went 3-for-4 for his first multi-hit game since April 30 at Toronto. ... Twins C Joe Mauer (back stiffness) was held out of the lineup and is day-to-day. Ryan Doumit started at catcher.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 0
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released