Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2
David Ortiz and Jacoby Ellsbury each added an RBI and Alex Wilson (1-0) picked up his first major-league win in relief of Clay Buchholz, who struck out nine and allowed two runs and four hits in seven innings. Koji Uehara worked a scoreless 10th to earn his first save.
Dustin Pedroia led off the 10th with a single and Josh Roenicke (1-1) walked David Ortiz before Will Middlebrooks laid down his first sacrifice bunt. Minnesota elected to intentionally walk Stephen Drew to face the right-handed Gomes, who lofted a fly to left that rookies Aaron Hicks and Oswaldo Arcia converged on before Hicks made the play and threw late to home as Pedroia came across.
Pedro Florimon provided the runs for the Twins with a two-run homer in the third and Vance Worley allowed an unearned run and six hits in six strong innings.
Florimon's blast to right gave Minnesota a 2-1 lead in the third and the Red Sox evened things up in the seventh. Gomes walked and moved to third on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's double before Ellsbury's single up the middle bounced off two different gloves and found its way into center field.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Boston RF Shane Victorino (back) got the night off and is day-to-day. ... Ortiz went 3-for-4 for his first multi-hit game since April 30 at Toronto. ... Twins C Joe Mauer (back stiffness) was held out of the lineup and is day-to-day. Ryan Doumit started at catcher.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'