Online fund set up for Salem house fire victims
Shortly after 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, fire crews from Salem, Windham, Derry and Methuen, Mass., were called to the home of Tom and Neusiman Heaphy, 20A Atkinson Road, where they assisted in an aggressive interior attack of the house fire.
While fire crews were able to rescue and revive the couple’s 10-year-old cat and had the blaze under control within an hour, the home was deemed a total loss, according to Tom’s daughter, Michaela Heaphy.
An online relief fund, set up via the Fundly.com website, was established the day after the fire in hopes of helping the couple start over.
A bent extension cord that threw out sparks is believed to have caused the fire inside the 20-by-20-foot cottage earlier this week, though the incident remains under investigation, fire officials said.
Fortunately, her father and stepmother weren’t in the house at the time of the fire. “Had this happened (another night) my dad could have easily succumbed to smoke inhalation before realizing anything was wrong,” Heaphy said. “The fire started less than 2 feet from where he sleeps.”
Guinta talks bipartisanship, new bill to spare taxpayer cost of redundant government legislation
Hockey fans angry, sad to see Monarchs go
Bedford reprimands students for tweets critical of superintendent for not cancelling school Wednesday
Threat concerns Ayotte: How safe are we?
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk