Online fund set up for Salem house fire victims
Shortly after 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, fire crews from Salem, Windham, Derry and Methuen, Mass., were called to the home of Tom and Neusiman Heaphy, 20A Atkinson Road, where they assisted in an aggressive interior attack of the house fire.
While fire crews were able to rescue and revive the couple’s 10-year-old cat and had the blaze under control within an hour, the home was deemed a total loss, according to Tom’s daughter, Michaela Heaphy.
An online relief fund, set up via the Fundly.com website, was established the day after the fire in hopes of helping the couple start over.
A bent extension cord that threw out sparks is believed to have caused the fire inside the 20-by-20-foot cottage earlier this week, though the incident remains under investigation, fire officials said.
Fortunately, her father and stepmother weren’t in the house at the time of the fire. “Had this happened (another night) my dad could have easily succumbed to smoke inhalation before realizing anything was wrong,” Heaphy said. “The fire started less than 2 feet from where he sleeps.”
The Salem Observer
100 William Loeb Drive
Manchester, NH 03109
Neighborhood News publications can be found at a newsstand near you here.
News, Obituaries, & Social Announcements
Christine Heiser, Executive Editor
Email ads to email@example.com
Classified advertising: 603-669-1010
Display advertising: 603-206-7800 x264
Rate card | Ad Order | Credit application
Please use our online form at www.nh365.org
City’s Bronstein Park closed to public
13 undocumented children in NH
2012 voter registration law null — for now