Record Powerball jackpot has Granite Staters dreaming
The $600 million jackpot surpasses the previous record of $587 million awarded last November.
Winners who choose the cash option will take home an estimated $379.9 million before taxes.
More than 300 tickets were sold in a matter of a few hours.
"Saturday will be even crazier," said Rhi Morse, Xtra Mart's manager-in-training.
"Very few people are buying one or two tickets. Most people buy five," said Sam Patel, manager of the East Derry General Store.
"We know that (Saturday) is going to be really crazy," Patel said.
While many thought it was a good time to grab multiple tickets in hopes of increasing their odds of winning, Roy Everett, 62, of Epping didn't buy into the hype.
If he wins, Everett said he'll retire from his job at Thermo Fisher Scientific and hop a plane to his native England to see his 90-year-old dad.
After that, he's not sure how he'd spend the rest.
Bill and Barbara Milburn of Kingston wouldn't have too much trouble spending the money.
"First and foremost I'd take care of my family," Barbara Milburn said.
Bill Milburn, a firefighter with the Kingston Fire Department, said he'd keep that job but quit his position with a security alarm company.
After using some of the winnings to build a new house, Adam Milburn, 10, said he would want a "big game room" and a movie theater. His sister, Samantha, 12, would find a way to buy the pop boy band One Direction.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.