Home » Opinion » Editorials
The cupcake police: Stop! In the name of lard!
The school board’s Coordination Committee on Tuesday approved revisions to the district’s nutrition guidelines. Some of the revisions make sense. Serving sizes for high-calorie beverages (fruit juice, yogurt drinks, etc.) are reduced to age-appropriate portions, for instance. But the committee got carried away when it went about trying to micromanage in-class birthday celebrations.
Oh, NO! Not three cupcakes in one week!
The most sensible comment on the matter was from school board member Debra Gangnon Langton, a sixth-grade teacher. “I don’t think we should be the food police,” she said. “I don’t want to hear that can’t happen. It’s a child’s special day.”
This is not about making sure the school cafeteria serves healthy lunches. It is not really about obesity. It is about the desire to dictate choices down to the very snack foods children can enjoy on their birthdays. If this policy passes, it is a small step to dictating the contents of brown-bag lunches and mom-packed mid-morning snacks. Let the children enjoy their birthdays, cake and all.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name