Home » Opinion » Editorials
The cupcake police: Stop! In the name of lard!
The school board’s Coordination Committee on Tuesday approved revisions to the district’s nutrition guidelines. Some of the revisions make sense. Serving sizes for high-calorie beverages (fruit juice, yogurt drinks, etc.) are reduced to age-appropriate portions, for instance. But the committee got carried away when it went about trying to micromanage in-class birthday celebrations.
Oh, NO! Not three cupcakes in one week!
The most sensible comment on the matter was from school board member Debra Gangnon Langton, a sixth-grade teacher. “I don’t think we should be the food police,” she said. “I don’t want to hear that can’t happen. It’s a child’s special day.”
This is not about making sure the school cafeteria serves healthy lunches. It is not really about obesity. It is about the desire to dictate choices down to the very snack foods children can enjoy on their birthdays. If this policy passes, it is a small step to dictating the contents of brown-bag lunches and mom-packed mid-morning snacks. Let the children enjoy their birthdays, cake and all.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief