Pinkerton Academy science teacher honored by VFW
Fifteen years ago, Bartlett's father began a memorial in the woods of his 100-acre property in Lancaster to those who served in the division during World War II. As his father grew older, Bartlett took on a greater role keeping the memory of those veterans alive. His father passed away two years ago.
"There are 93 crosses on the land now with the plants and trees," said Bartlett. "My dad started with four of them for his friends from World War II."
However, Bartlett's honor from the VFW is about much more than what he does for veterans; it's also about what he has done for his students over the course of 41 years at Pinkerton Academy.
"In the early '80s, we started the beach cleanup in Rye in September, and now we're working with Kohl's in Salem to do another beach cleanup," said Bartlett.
Bartlett is constantly looking at ways to make the school more green, whether it is through campaigning for waterless toilets in the new Academy building or setting up a program to make sure computers in the computer lab are shut down every night.
"I've seen the changes from chalkboards to whiteboards to smart boards," said Bartlett. "You've got to keep up with technology. If you don't, you're not going to relate to the kids."
"Students are working together and communicating more," he said. "It's really a change for most subject areas."
"People ask me when I'm going to retire," he said. "I say, why should I when I still enjoy it."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
- NH students take part in computer education week - 0
- Math world stunned by UNH lecturer's find - 3
- Consultant report on UNH Manchester issues almost done - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 9
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 2
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383