New roundabout proposed at Goffstown intersection
GOFFSTOWN - Two public hearings on Tuesday, May 21, will address busy intersections and road repairs, including the possibility of a third roundabout in town.
The first, to be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Goffstown Town Hall, will inform residents about the $888,000 construction project for two intersections in Goffstown Village – Main and Pleasant streets (Route 13), and Main, High and Elm streets, near the Goffstown Public Library.
According to Town Engineer Meghan Theriault, the town is funding 45 percent of the project, which was approved by voters in March, with the other 55 percent to come from a Congestion Mitigation Air Quality grant
According to a 2008 report issued to selectmen by the Village Planning Committee, a roundabout is the preferred method of traffic mitigation at the intersection of Main and Pleasant streets, and traffic calming measures, such as bumped out curbs and raised crosswalks, would be more appropriate at the Main, Elm and High Street intersections.
"With every intersection, there are basic alternatives," Theriault said – traffic lights, a roundabout or other traffic calming techniques, referred to as no-builds.
Theriault said the Main, High and Elm Street area is of concern, particularly during rush hour.
"The most difficult times are in the peak hours," she said. "You want to improve the safety during that time."
Theriault said the Wallace Road roundabout construction generated much public comment.
"The community didn't feel they were notified well enough," she said. "Before we start this grant work, we want to get the community's input up front, at the very beginning of everything."
Pleasant Street work
A second public hearing will be held immediately following, at 8 p.m., to discuss reclamation of Pleasant Street from Bog Road to Main Street.
"Normally, we would just notify the immediate abutters," Theriault said, "but we have a significant detour that will affect a lot of people."
Truck traffic will be detoured to Parker Road in New Boston, which required special approval from the New Boston Board of Selectmen.
Pleasant Street is expected to be closed from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., a move Theriault said should shorten the duration of the project.
"The hope is that by shutting down the road, it will help us to get more work done," she said. "The whole goal is to get the project done and move out of there."