Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox
The Rays (20-18) began hitting the ball hard off Red Sox starter John Lackey in the third inning but used two fluke hits to break through with a five-run fourth.
Ortiz had walloped a chest-high fastball deep into the right-field bleachers in the first, scoring Jacoby Ellsbury, who was hit with a pitch leading off, and Dustin Pedroia, who had lined a ball off third base for a double. The home run was Ortiz’s fifth of the season.
NOTES: Lackey made his 300th big-league appearance. ... Longoria was named American League Player of the Week on Monday for the period May 6-12. He has received the honor a club-record six times. He hit .464 with a .531 on-base percentage and .964 slugging percentage during the span, all of which came at Tropicana Field, with three homers, 11 RBI, five doubles and eight runs. ... Loney entered the game leading the majors in batting (.376). ... Red Sox RF Shane Victorino returned to the lineup after being removed from Sunday’s game with an apparent back injury. Victorino was taken to a Boston hospital after slamming into the outfield wall chasing a fly ball. ... Molina was 0 for 13 on the current homestand before singling in his first two at-bats. ... Lackey had not allowed more than three earned runs in his previous five starts this season.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released