Home » News » Public Safety » Hero Awards
Principal just jumped in
"She didn't even give it a second thought," Brown said, adding he still has nightmares about the January day his son, now 11, fell through thin ice after running into the woods behind the elementary school during a morning break.
Rhodes — among those being honored today at 3 p.m. in front of the State House in Concord with a Union Leader Hero Award — and special education teacher Colleen Singleton ran after the boy and had to pull him out of the freezing water on Jan. 25, 2012.
Brown said Andrew, who is now in the sixth grade at Rochester Middle School, is "doing awesome now."
"I can't thank her enough," Brown said, adding Rhodes treats all the students at Gonic School like her own children.
She said she managed to avoid most interviews after the rescue, including calls from "Good Morning America."
Superintendent Michael Hopkins said it was fortunate Rhodes was able to avert a tragedy.
About the Hero Awards
The Union Leader Hero Awards honor New Hampshire residents who have risked their lives in the previous year to save or attempt to save the life of another person.
The program is sponsored by Citizens Bank and presented by the New Hampshire Union Leader.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- As SUV bore down, Manchester hero pushed his friend to safety - 5
- Rescuer cites hand of God: 'I was put there for a reason that morning' - 3
- Raymond officer: It's being in the right place at the wrong time - 2
- Smoke couldn't keep Manchester neighbors from becoming heroes - 0
- Manchester police heroes: 'What it boils down to is it's the job' - 0
- As waves washed over the jetty, Ken Murby waded in to help - 0
- Nashua driver owes her life to trio of heroes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
Despite late start in growing season, North Country's blueberry picking season soon to be here
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain