Principal just jumped in
"She didn't even give it a second thought," Brown said, adding he still has nightmares about the January day his son, now 11, fell through thin ice after running into the woods behind the elementary school during a morning break.
Rhodes — among those being honored today at 3 p.m. in front of the State House in Concord with a Union Leader Hero Award — and special education teacher Colleen Singleton ran after the boy and had to pull him out of the freezing water on Jan. 25, 2012.
Brown said Andrew, who is now in the sixth grade at Rochester Middle School, is "doing awesome now."
"I can't thank her enough," Brown said, adding Rhodes treats all the students at Gonic School like her own children.
She said she managed to avoid most interviews after the rescue, including calls from "Good Morning America."
Superintendent Michael Hopkins said it was fortunate Rhodes was able to avert a tragedy.
About the Hero Awards
The Union Leader Hero Awards honor New Hampshire residents who have risked their lives in the previous year to save or attempt to save the life of another person.
The program is sponsored by Citizens Bank and presented by the New Hampshire Union Leader.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'