Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Sanbornton voters say no to SB 2
The petitioned ballot question needed 60 percent of the vote to pass, but only received 49 percent of the vote Tuesday, said Town Moderator Patsy Wells.
Town Meeting will be held on tonight at 7 p.m. at Sanbornton Central School. Because of the vote, the town meeting form of government will continue.
The voter turnout was the highest in recent memory, Wells said.
“We usually have a good turnout,” she said. “Sanbornton takes its politics very seriously.”
The SB-2 question had been brought before voters 12 times in the nearly 20 years since state legislators permitted towns to let local voters make town decisions by paper ballot. Each time, Sanbornton residents have defeated the issue. Last year’s vote fell short by about 20 votes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 0
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 0
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 0
- John Stark's 'We the People' gears up for civics competition - 0
- PSNH on defense over scrubber cost 'escalation' - 0
- Feds and state probe suspended county attorney's handling of funds - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed