Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Convicted as NH teen killers, court hearing considers sentences
Only Dingman, who was convicted with his younger brother of murdering their parents in their Rochester home in 1996, and Soto appeared at the hour-long hearing. Soto is the youngest and most recently convicted defendant seeking a resentencing hearing. He was convicted of accomplice to first-degree murder in the 2007 shooting death of Aaron Kar in Manchester.
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on June 25, 2012, in Miller v. Alabama that automatic life without parole sentences for juvenile murderers are unconstitutional because the sentences violate the Eighth Amendment’s guarantee against cruel and unusual punishment.
“If we apply the rule to one person on collateral review, it has to be applied to everyone else,” New Hampshire Public Defender Richard C. Guerriero argued.
Guerriero conceded under questioning by Smukler that the Supreme Court did not use the word “retroactive.”
“We don’t have any clear-cut authority one way or another and...this seems to fall a little bit in the middle,” the judge added. Smukler took the matter under advisement and said he would issue an order later. Should he rule retroactivity applies, the cases would proceed to individual sentencing hearings.
“Mr. Lopez is a perfect example of why the U.S. Supreme Court pointed out why children are different,” public defender Pamela K. Jones told the judge. His case exemplifies why the high court “anticipated there would be children amenable to rehabilitation and he would be on of those children,” Jones added.
“Lopez was sentenced as a child. He served 22 years of a life sentence” with no opportunity to present mitigating evidence of his capacity for reform, maturity, penchant for recklessness or other factors, Jones said.
To date, just one juvenile killer — Steven Spader, 21, — was deemed eligible for a resentencing hearing because his case still was pending direct appeal. Spader waived his right to appear at the hearing. He was sentenced April 26 to life without parole plus 76 years — the original sentence he receive for the 2009 slaying of a Mont Vernon mother and attempted murder of her daughter in their home.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
- Two Keene men charged with burglary and assault - 0
- Shooting victim's spouse's car being searched - 0
- Altercation leads to suspect fleeing, threatening police - 0
- Crash ends high-speed chase in Lyndeborough - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Memorial needs shootout to get by Bow - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 0
- No shortage of post-holiday shoppers at local stores - 0
- West junior advising College Board on its entrance exams - 0
- Sullivan in the top running for state's Assistant Principal of the Year - 0
- Derry making progress with efforts to honor POWS, MIAs - 0
- Lions Club blood drive draws on spirit of giving - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Murder suspect fit for trial? - 2
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Murder suspect fit for trial?
Pipeline push gets a second wind
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483