Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Chester man challenges police computer search in sex abuse case
BRENTWOOD - A Chester man charged with an alleged series of sexual assaults against a young girl in the 1990s is asking a judge to reconsider whether police had the right to search his computer, which ultimately led to his indictment in four separate cases.
Gary Britton, 60, is headed to trial next week in Rockingham County Superior Court on two counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and two counts of felonious sexual assault for allegedly abusing a girl between 1991 and 1995. The alleged assaults began when the girl was under age 10, prosecutors said.
Michael Verronneau, a digital forensic expert, testified for the defense on Monday, suggesting that Britton's landlord had to go searching for the images of child pornography on his home computer rather than seeing it in plain sight.
The landlord testified at a previous hearing that he simply turned on the computer and saw the images. Chester police used that information to obtain a search warrant. Judge N. William Delker had already ruled in March that the police search of Britton's apartment and home computer was legal, but he allowed defense lawyers to add testimony to their bid to have evidence in the case thrown out.
Delker is now reconsidering his decision. Assistant County Attorney Brad Bolton argued that Britton's computer could have been only partially shut down, or in sleep mode, and that the images could have remained on the screen.
"So, it's possible for someone to push a button and for that screen to come up," Bolton said, showing exhibits of the images recorded by police. "It's possible," Verronneau said.
Britton was being evicted by his landlords on Sept. 22, 2011, when Chester police were preparing to arrest him for failing to register as a sex offender.
Once the landlords allegedly found child pornography on Britton's computer they called police. That set off a wider investigation by Chester police that resulted in Britton being indicted on the sex assault case, failing to register as a sex offender, being a felon in possession of a firearm, possessing child pornography.
Britton, who was convicted of aggravated felonious sexual assault in 1983, is barred from owning a firearm because he is a felon.
He is expected to face separate trials on charges of possession of child sexual abuse images and being a felon in possession of a weapon.
He pleaded guilty for failing to register as a sex offender and served 12 months in jail.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigating after man stabbed in neck - 0
- Ferguson protests enter third day; arrests in St. Louis - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 5
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Heavy, wet snow causes extended outages for Unitil customers - 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483