Home » News » Public Safety
Berlin prison filling up, slowly
The prison is using the city’s water and sewer, and when fully up and running, is expected to pay around $1.4 million a year for those services. That cash flow will help the city pay its amortization schedule, as it continues to upgrade those systems, officials have said.
“The CRB provides a means for mutual communications and support between FCI Berlin and the local community,” Nichols said.
Meanwhile, the state’s Northern New Hampshire Correctional Facility, which opened in 2000, houses about 630 inmates. The facility was built for 500 medium-security inmates.
“It’s been talked about a number of times,” he said recently. “The resources haven’t been there.”
District 1 state Sen. Jeff Woodburn said that officials were concerned about female inmates being too far from their families.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Memorial heroic in NHIAA Div. I basketball semifinal defeat - 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'