Manchester’s assistant superintendent to leave
Assistant Superintendent Michael Tursi, who oversees curriculum and instruction in the district, announced in an email Friday that he will leave the Manchester district by July 1 to become a superintendent elsewhere.
Tursi’s departure comes as Superintendent Thomas Brennan prepares to leave at the end of June.
The first search yielded three finalists for the post, but after interviews the board decided to begin the search again. The second search has the goal of selecting Brennan’s successor by June 8.
“I would find it very, very difficult for a new person not familiar with Manchester and our district to be able to come in and take over and do what they have to do with the number two man gone and being new to the district,” Gelinas said. “With our assistant superintendent leaving, it places us in a position where we have to ask ourselves quite a few more questions about what direction we have to take.”
The first search is believed to have included at least one school district employee.
Burkush is in charge of student services in the district.
Some committee members preferred to let a new superintendent make a decision on assistants. But the existing agreements provided that contracts were automatically renewed if no new contract was offered by Jan. 1 and the board did not send the three notices that they were not renewed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Local voices -- George Will: The fictitious war on women - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Irresponsible 'education' - 3
- Our Constitution is crumbling and few seem to care - 4
- Can the administration handle an outbreak as well as Hollywood thinks it can? - 6
- George Will: Tackled by the speech police - 1
- Another View -- Steve Merrill: NH needs Walt Havenstein's Pledge 2.0 - 2
- NH's fantasy budgeting has got to end - 4
- Pat Buchanan: Goodbye, Columbus - 1
- Another View - Benjamin Dick: Why Manchester teachers rejected the last contract proposal - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- James Pindell's The Back Story: Does the grassroots approach still work? - 2
- Shaheen: 'Don't Import Candiate That Outsources Jobs' - 14
- Abandoned Property: Romney, Brownies and even J.D. Salinger are on the list, are you? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Levasseur back on MPD's case, but this time with numbers - 1
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Londonderry man killed in cycle crash - 0
- Monitoring social media - 1
- Apple opens in Manchester - 0
- NHIAA football: Bedford hangs on, outlasts Concord - 0
Monitoring social media
More violence at Keene
Boz Scaggs explores a bit of 'Memphis'
Rowdy night ushers in Keene Pumpkin Festival
Shaheen, in Hooksett, rallies with union
After riots, soul-searching begins
On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it
What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy