All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Father and son arrested after fights in the park

May 13. 2013 1:53PM

MANCHESTER - A father and son, along with two 16-year-old boys, were arrested Sunday evening after a brawl at St. Anthony's Park in the city's South End.

Douglas Reardon, 46, and Douglas Reardon Jr., 18, both of 44 Maurice St., are charged with riot, as are the teens. One teen also is charged with being a minor in possession of alcohol after police recovered beer in the trunk of his car.

The incident started about 6:20 p.m. when a 16-year-old boy, who police said had a money dispute with the younger Reardon, showed up at the Reardons' home with a group of friends anticipating a fight.

About 15 to 20 people gathered in St. Anthony's Park for the brawl.

Someone flagged down Manchester Police Officer Derek Cataldo, who was patrolling the area. As Cataldo approached the group, someone yelled that police were there and he then heard an older man express "apathy" toward police, according to a news release issued by police.

Lt. Maureen Tessier explained the man, identified by police as Douglas Reardon, uttered something along the lines that he "didn't give a ---- that the cops were there" and then started physically fighting a 16-year-old boy.

Cataldo ordered them to stop, but they continued the fight even when he tried to separate them. Simultaneously, four to five other fights broke out among those gathered in the 292 South Taylor St. park.

The officer managed to finally separate the two and both were arrested. He also broke up a fight between two teens - Reardon Jr. and another 16-year-old. They, too, continued to fight despite Cataldo telling them to stop and efforts to separate them.

The teen broke away, but Reardon Jr. chased after him as he fled out of the park. Reardon Jr. was arrested when he returned to the park.

By then, everyone else had scattered.

Police arrested a 16-year-old as he tried to leave the area, and he, too, was charged with riot.

Tessier said it is unclear from reports if it is the same 16-year-old who was fighting with both Reardon and Reardon Jr. The teen was among those who showed up at the Reardons' home, she said.

Crime, law and justice Manchester

More Headlines