Rotary Club cookout to honor Derry’s veterans
This year, the Derry Rotary Club and the Derry Village Rotary Club is holding its annual veterans cookout on Thursday, May 30, at the Derry Boys and Girls Club at 5 p.m.
“This is a thank you for all veterans for their service to the country,” said Boys and Girls Club Executive Director Arthur McLean.
“We did the first (event) because the World War II veterans were in their late 80s or early 90s and we thought it might be their only chance to see the memorial,” said McLean.
Police Chief Ed Garone said the response to the events has been overwhelmingly positive, especially from many of the Korean- and Vietnam-era veterans. For many of the veterans, he said, it was one of the first times they felt recognized and appreciated.
This year’s cookout will feature food, refreshments, entertainment and a gift for each veteran.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.