Fixing the dam
Dam repairs halt fishing for Pittsburg’s Scotts Bog
New Hampshire environmental officials are having the water in Scotts Bog in Pittsburg drawn down. The pond's failing dam will be repaired this summer. (COURTESY)
Judd, who’s been everything from Pittsburg’s road agent, town selectman and a Coos County commissioner, to a North Country hunting and fishing guide, is about as close to a far north Granite State landmark himself as a person can be.
The pond’s water will be drawn down, Scotts won’t be stocked with fingerlings for a change, and the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau staff expects to have a crew repair the concrete dam by fall.
Judd said Saturday the spot is indeed a popular fishing site for those who know it, including himself, and he’d rather it was stocked and remained open this summer. If there was some runoff as a result of a leaky dam, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world either, he added.
Last week, DES officials issued a public notice.
“Anglers should note that all fish stocking for this pond has been cancelled for this season. Stocking activities at Scotts Bog will be re-initiated next year, following the completion of the dam reconstruction project,” the release stated.
Carol Henderson, a Department of Environmental Services coordinator, said Friday it had been at least that long since the state started stocking the pond with young trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ballet superstar Misty Copeland joins local dancers in Nutcracker - 0
- AC/DC Tribute Band to rock Rochester Opera House - 0
- Memorial recalls church fire, while calling to mind those lost to AIDS - 0
- Reunion of sisters mirrors impact of WWII - 0
- Grammy-winning conductor at helm of 'Nutcracker' orchestra - 0
- Strawbery Banke glides into the season on Seacoast - 0
- UNH ensembles to perform in Dec. 2 show - 0
- Nashua strolls into winter Saturday - 0
- It's musical war when the Dueling Pianos come to Concord - 0
Win tickets to see the Amazing Nano Brothers
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection