Fixing the dam
Dam repairs halt fishing for Pittsburg’s Scotts Bog
New Hampshire environmental officials are having the water in Scotts Bog in Pittsburg drawn down. The pond's failing dam will be repaired this summer. (COURTESY)
Judd, who’s been everything from Pittsburg’s road agent, town selectman and a Coos County commissioner, to a North Country hunting and fishing guide, is about as close to a far north Granite State landmark himself as a person can be.
The pond’s water will be drawn down, Scotts won’t be stocked with fingerlings for a change, and the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau staff expects to have a crew repair the concrete dam by fall.
Judd said Saturday the spot is indeed a popular fishing site for those who know it, including himself, and he’d rather it was stocked and remained open this summer. If there was some runoff as a result of a leaky dam, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world either, he added.
Last week, DES officials issued a public notice.
“Anglers should note that all fish stocking for this pond has been cancelled for this season. Stocking activities at Scotts Bog will be re-initiated next year, following the completion of the dam reconstruction project,” the release stated.
Carol Henderson, a Department of Environmental Services coordinator, said Friday it had been at least that long since the state started stocking the pond with young trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fine casual dining in a historic setting - 0
- Beverages worth crossing the state line for - 0
- Lunch in the Park series begins Thursday - 0
- North Country native named to highest reserve enlisted position in Coast Guard - 1
- Good neighbors make great gardens in Goffstown - 0
- Salem community gardens enjoying a successful summer - 0
- Pilot program offers free bus service to Nashua children - 0
- Renovation work shuts down Albany recreation site - 0
- Pelham fireworks show now set for Saturday - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Early-bird race special for NASCAR fans
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
Fine casual dining in a historic setting
Beverages worth crossing the state line for
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax