Fixing the dam
Dam repairs halt fishing for Pittsburg’s Scotts Bog
New Hampshire environmental officials are having the water in Scotts Bog in Pittsburg drawn down. The pond's failing dam will be repaired this summer. (COURTESY)
Judd, who’s been everything from Pittsburg’s road agent, town selectman and a Coos County commissioner, to a North Country hunting and fishing guide, is about as close to a far north Granite State landmark himself as a person can be.
The pond’s water will be drawn down, Scotts won’t be stocked with fingerlings for a change, and the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau staff expects to have a crew repair the concrete dam by fall.
Judd said Saturday the spot is indeed a popular fishing site for those who know it, including himself, and he’d rather it was stocked and remained open this summer. If there was some runoff as a result of a leaky dam, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world either, he added.
Last week, DES officials issued a public notice.
“Anglers should note that all fish stocking for this pond has been cancelled for this season. Stocking activities at Scotts Bog will be re-initiated next year, following the completion of the dam reconstruction project,” the release stated.
Carol Henderson, a Department of Environmental Services coordinator, said Friday it had been at least that long since the state started stocking the pond with young trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mt. Washington warning: Spring a time of danger - 0
- Bedford police will collect old, unused and unwanted drugs - 0
- Ashland Community Garden ribbon-cutting set for Saturday - 0
- Cynthia's Challenge raises $31K to help buy service dog - 0
- Preston's 'Idol' adventure goes on - 0
- Hemophilia Charity Bike Ride Comes to New Hampshire - 0
- Scholars from Across U.S. Gather at Plymouth State University's 35th Annual Medieval and Renaissance Forum April 25 and 26 - 0
- Former legendary Foreigner frontman Lou Gramm to perform - 1
- Granite State campuses leap into spring with April performances - 0
Preston's 'Idol' adventure goes on
Win tickets to see Cheap Trick
Win tickets to see The Monkees!
Win tickets to see Billy Idol
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start