Fixing the dam
Dam repairs halt fishing for Pittsburg’s Scotts Bog
New Hampshire environmental officials are having the water in Scotts Bog in Pittsburg drawn down. The pond's failing dam will be repaired this summer. (COURTESY)
Judd, who’s been everything from Pittsburg’s road agent, town selectman and a Coos County commissioner, to a North Country hunting and fishing guide, is about as close to a far north Granite State landmark himself as a person can be.
The pond’s water will be drawn down, Scotts won’t be stocked with fingerlings for a change, and the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services Dam Bureau staff expects to have a crew repair the concrete dam by fall.
Judd said Saturday the spot is indeed a popular fishing site for those who know it, including himself, and he’d rather it was stocked and remained open this summer. If there was some runoff as a result of a leaky dam, that wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world either, he added.
Last week, DES officials issued a public notice.
“Anglers should note that all fish stocking for this pond has been cancelled for this season. Stocking activities at Scotts Bog will be re-initiated next year, following the completion of the dam reconstruction project,” the release stated.
Carol Henderson, a Department of Environmental Services coordinator, said Friday it had been at least that long since the state started stocking the pond with young trout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNO Pizzeria in Hudson plans cancer fundraiser - 0
- Farmington firefighters to don pink for fundraiser - 0
- 5K honors city teen who died from cancer - 0
- Great North Woods, White Mountains foliage expected to hit peak next week - 0
- Salem Rams hope to memorialize volunteer with scoreboard naming - 0
- Salem looks ahead to property updates - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Molly Stark DAR hosts Constitution meeting - 0
- Keene festival's pumpkin giveaway requires online registration this year - 1
- Currier Museum showcases impossible possibilities by M.C. Escher, who inspired generations of pop culture - 0
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over