UPDATED: Mass. woman dies after being struck by truck early Sunday in Salem
SALEM — A Massachusetts woman was killed after she was hit by a pickup truck in Salem early Sunday.
Police said the woman, identified as Edith Hamilton, 44, of Haverhill, Mass., was walking on Main Street, just west of the intersection with Hampstead Road when she was hit by a 2002 Dodge Ram pickup truck.
Police said the driver of the truck, a 19-year-old man, stopped and was providing medical assistance to the woman while waiting for the arrival of an ambulance.
Police said Hamilton was taken first to Lawrence (Mass.) General Hospital and then to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston where she died of serious internal injuries.
Police said the accident is under investigation, but preliminary evidence did not suggest that speed, alcohol or drugs were a factor in the crash. Investigators have asked that anyone who may have driven through the area to call police at 603-893-1911.
The scene of the accident is located at a commercial intersection about 500 feet from the Methuen, Mass. city line.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.