Home » Opinion » Editorials
Caution first: Nashua needs no rail study yet
Alderman Daniel Moriarty is pushing for a city rail study. On Monday he chastized skeptical aldermen, calling them illogical and saying they want to "remain ignorant and remain uninformed" about rail in Nashua. No, they want to be responsible.
The state is undertaking its own rail study, ostensibly to determine whether commuter rail is even feasible in New Hampshire. (It is not, as other studies show, and we suspect that this study will be designed to reach the opposite conclusion.) Supposing that New Hampshire's study is objective, there is no reason whatsoever for Nashua to undertake its own study now. If New Hampshire's research concludes that commuter rail will not work here, then the dream is dead. Why would Nashua spend a dime to prepare for a rail line whose existence is dependent on a study not yet begun?
Aldermanic President Brian McCarthy and other aldermen are right to wait and see what the state study concludes. That is not ignorance; it is prudence.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- U.S. says Islamic State video of journalist's killing is authentic - 0
- No paper on Monday; check UnionLeader.com for updated, breaking news - 0
- Concord attorney Leahy dies - 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 5
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax