Home » Opinion » Editorials
Caution first: Nashua needs no rail study yet
Alderman Daniel Moriarty is pushing for a city rail study. On Monday he chastized skeptical aldermen, calling them illogical and saying they want to "remain ignorant and remain uninformed" about rail in Nashua. No, they want to be responsible.
The state is undertaking its own rail study, ostensibly to determine whether commuter rail is even feasible in New Hampshire. (It is not, as other studies show, and we suspect that this study will be designed to reach the opposite conclusion.) Supposing that New Hampshire's study is objective, there is no reason whatsoever for Nashua to undertake its own study now. If New Hampshire's research concludes that commuter rail will not work here, then the dream is dead. Why would Nashua spend a dime to prepare for a rail line whose existence is dependent on a study not yet begun?
Aldermanic President Brian McCarthy and other aldermen are right to wait and see what the state study concludes. That is not ignorance; it is prudence.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Regulatory overkill everywhere - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 33
- John Stossel: Earth Day is more like Earth Daze - 3
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'