Jul 10, 2014
Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
FBI pleased with Greek actions in Kamberidis case
FBI Agent Kiernan Ramsey said he was surprised that Greek authorities arrested Kamberidis, let alone convicted him for the murder of James Chartier.
"Kamberidis is a Greek citizen, and this is the first time ever that a Greek citizen was tried in Greece for an American crime after fleeing prosecution," Ramsey said.
Ramsey, who has extensive experience working international cases, said that U.S. authorities have known where Kamberidis was in Greece since before 2006. However, because Greece does not extradite its own citizens, there was little chance of getting him back to the United States.
But U.S. officials stayed in contact with Greek authorities, and eventually Kamberidis was arrested. He was tried and convicted in a Greek court in April for the 30-year-old crime.
Ramsey said Kamberidis had remarried and was employed through family contacts.
Even with Kamberidis serving time in a Greek prison, state and federal officials said that they would not give up on trying to having him extradited to New Hampshire so he can serve time here.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Supreme Court: Indigent woman entitled to state-funded services - 0
- Following drug bust, questions raised about Manchester pizza restaurant - 1
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Fathers of injured teens pleased with order sending back Coco to jail - 0
- Exeter man arraigned in pair of Portsmouth armed robberies - 0
- Pa. man will go to trial for two-state chase - 0
- Arrest made in fake Nashua bomb threat - 0
- Two of Gregory Smart's killers nearing release - 15
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges for Nashua men - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
- Total Votes: 917