Home » News » Public Safety
East Kingston boy who nearly drowned returns home
Bradley Towse was released from Boston Children's Hospital Thursday afternoon.
"He's doing fine. He's back to his old self, playing with his toys," said his sister, Lori Rivas.
Bradley was at home with his father, David Towse, on Wednesday when he opened an unlocked door and walked out onto a dock next to the family's home, which sits along Powwow Pond.
Towse was doing dishes when he looked out and saw Bradley floating face-down in the water. Towse said he believes his son fell on the dock and rolled into the pond.
As soon as he spotted him, Towse ran outside and pulled Bradley out of the water and quickly began performing CPR. He expelled some water and regained consciousness before emergency personnel arrived and rushed him to Exeter Hospital. He was later transferred to Boston Children's Hospital.
Towse said the hospital wanted to keep him through Wednesday night just in case there were complications from the water in his lungs.
"He recovered just fine. Nothing seems to be wrong," Rivas said Thursday.
Towse said he's never had any formal CPR training, but knew what he had to do when he pulled his son out.
"I was in Boy Scouts and they pound all of that stuff into you in Boy Scouts," he said. "I'm sure it was only a couple of seconds, but it seemed like everything was going on forever."
Towse said he's taking safety measures to make sure his son doesn't sneak out again. He plans to install motion sensors to alert him when the door opens and he's putting in additional safety gates to keep him more contained.
Towse said Bradley was able to escape because he forgot to flip a safety lock on top of the door that's out of the boy's reach.
"He's quick. He's a little Houdini," Towse said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council