Home » News » Public Safety
East Kingston boy who nearly drowned returns home
Bradley Towse, who was rescued by his fater after falling into a pond on Wednesday, returned home Thursday. (Courtesy)
Bradley Towse was released from Boston Children's Hospital Thursday afternoon.
"He's doing fine. He's back to his old self, playing with his toys," said his sister, Lori Rivas.
Bradley was at home with his father, David Towse, on Wednesday when he opened an unlocked door and walked out onto a dock next to the family's home, which sits along Powwow Pond.
Towse was doing dishes when he looked out and saw Bradley floating face-down in the water. Towse said he believes his son fell on the dock and rolled into the pond.
As soon as he spotted him, Towse ran outside and pulled Bradley out of the water and quickly began performing CPR. He expelled some water and regained consciousness before emergency personnel arrived and rushed him to Exeter Hospital. He was later transferred to Boston Children's Hospital.
Towse said the hospital wanted to keep him through Wednesday night just in case there were complications from the water in his lungs.
"He recovered just fine. Nothing seems to be wrong," Rivas said Thursday.
Towse said he's never had any formal CPR training, but knew what he had to do when he pulled his son out.
"I was in Boy Scouts and they pound all of that stuff into you in Boy Scouts," he said. "I'm sure it was only a couple of seconds, but it seemed like everything was going on forever."
Towse said he's taking safety measures to make sure his son doesn't sneak out again. He plans to install motion sensors to alert him when the door opens and he's putting in additional safety gates to keep him more contained.
Towse said Bradley was able to escape because he forgot to flip a safety lock on top of the door that's out of the boy's reach.
"He's quick. He's a little Houdini," Towse said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 2
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 3
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 0
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 0
- 9th-inning error sends Red Sox to third straight loss - 0
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers