Home » News » Public Safety
East Kingston boy who nearly drowned returns home
Bradley Towse, who was rescued by his fater after falling into a pond on Wednesday, returned home Thursday. (Courtesy)
Bradley Towse was released from Boston Children's Hospital Thursday afternoon.
"He's doing fine. He's back to his old self, playing with his toys," said his sister, Lori Rivas.
Bradley was at home with his father, David Towse, on Wednesday when he opened an unlocked door and walked out onto a dock next to the family's home, which sits along Powwow Pond.
Towse was doing dishes when he looked out and saw Bradley floating face-down in the water. Towse said he believes his son fell on the dock and rolled into the pond.
As soon as he spotted him, Towse ran outside and pulled Bradley out of the water and quickly began performing CPR. He expelled some water and regained consciousness before emergency personnel arrived and rushed him to Exeter Hospital. He was later transferred to Boston Children's Hospital.
Towse said the hospital wanted to keep him through Wednesday night just in case there were complications from the water in his lungs.
"He recovered just fine. Nothing seems to be wrong," Rivas said Thursday.
Towse said he's never had any formal CPR training, but knew what he had to do when he pulled his son out.
"I was in Boy Scouts and they pound all of that stuff into you in Boy Scouts," he said. "I'm sure it was only a couple of seconds, but it seemed like everything was going on forever."
Towse said he's taking safety measures to make sure his son doesn't sneak out again. He plans to install motion sensors to alert him when the door opens and he's putting in additional safety gates to keep him more contained.
Towse said Bradley was able to escape because he forgot to flip a safety lock on top of the door that's out of the boy's reach.
"He's quick. He's a little Houdini," Towse said.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Defense has let Sox down so far - 0
- Developers think Guard site would have big potential - 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- Jackson Ski Touring makes top U.S. skiing list - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire