Central's top student named Parker Scholar of the Year
"I'm just truly honored," Conway said.
In addition to being at the top of her class, Conway is a champion cross-country runner and is the editor of The Little Green, Central's student newspaper.
Conway said she intends to pursue a career in journalism, despite the field's increasing challenges.
"I really like to write," she said. "I've accepted the fact that it's a really tough position, a tough field to enter in. It's a field that requires pure grit and determination. If you're willing to accept that, then you can get where you need to get."
Conway's selection provided a bright spot to end what had been a tough week after spending several days in the hospital after suffering complications from a spinal tap, she said.
"This is my first time out in six days," she said.
Conway's mother, Dina, said her daughter's selection as scholar of the year, and the $2,000 scholarship that comes with it, came after a lot of hard work.
"She doesn't stop," she said. "She's very focused. But more importantly, I think she actually loves learning."
"I'm very proud of her," said her father, Michael. "She's a perfectionist at everything she does."
The Francis Wayland Parker Scholar program is sponsored by the New Hampshire Association of School Principals, in cooperation with the New Hampshire Union Leader, Lifetouch Studios and the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Northern New England.
Nan Parsons, president of the principals association, said she is inspired by contemporary students.
"People ask me what is wrong with today's youth. Well, I say that there is a lot right about today's youth," Parsons said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- An NSA setback: Fourth Amendment wins first round - 12
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383